In New England, we are at the sweetest part of the growing season, in my opinion, with tomatoes at their best and local apples coming soon! Let’s be honest, we may decide to eat healthier, but it is the taste of food that we really enjoy. Nothing tastes better than locally grown foods in season. Many foods can be frozen so that they can be enjoyed later. The West Roxbury farmer’s market was closed for 2016, but hopefully this, or a new market, will be open in 2017. Here are links to several area farmer’s markets.
- Roslindale –Saturdays, 9am-1:30 pm, through November
- Boston –several throughout the city, including the Boston Public Market which is open year round
- Newton—Tuesdays and Saturdays, through October
- Needham—Sundays, noon-4pm, through November
- Dedham – Wednesdays, 3-7 pm, through October
- Brookline –Thursdays, 1:30 pm to dusk, through November
- Cambridge –Several locations and days of the week, many through November
- Somerville (Union Square)–Saturdays, 9am-1pm, through November
Aware of a great farmer’s market and want to let everyone know about? Tell us!
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
SAVE THE DATE: BIG nutrition challenge kick-off October 1, 2016 meeting at BIG two weeks after Beat the Streets!