- Cooked Batch Oats
- Frittata Keeps in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Hard boiled eggs Once cooked, the eggs are good for 7 days in the shell and ready as part of a meal or snack.
Lunch or Dinner
- Five Weekday Lunch Ideas Complete with recipes and a video….it could not be easier. The only thing that I would recommend is substituting the following seasoning—2 tsp. cumin, 1 Tbsp. chili powder, ½ tsp. cayeene pepper—for the ‘taco seasoning.’
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers These can be made ahead and frozen. If the poblano pepper is too spicy for you, regular peppers can substituted in here.
Overall batch cooking tips are included in this article, but others include:
- Cook what you normally cook, just do more of it so that you can freeze it or have it left over for lunch. For example, roasting a whole chicken? Why not roast two! Then you have chicken for soup, salads, tacos, even stir fry later in the month.
- Set aside time each month or week to batch cook. Just like a WOD, if you don’t have it on your calendar, it may not get done.
- Batch cook ingredients instead of entire meals. Brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, meat, and more can be added to meals.
- Determine what containers you will use in advance.
- Instead of chopping all of those onions by hand, use a food processor if you have one.
- Slightly undercook your vegetables because they will cook again in the reheating process.
- Label everything! At the time that you cook a batch of food, it seems like you will remember what you put in a Ziploc or container, but labeling removes the guess work.
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
We have a new nutrition challenge coming this fall that will focus on getting sufficient protein tailored to your individual needs. Interested? Contact me at email@example.com.