Summertime means BBQs and BBQs often mean adult beverages. So with July 4 coming, the habit to build in week 8 (of 10) is moderating alcohol intake. Alcohol has a significant impact on your body including reducing:
- Muscle building
- Testosterone levels
- Athletic performance
- Muscle glycogen storage
- Muscle recovery
And these are just some of the short-term effects of alcohol. Longer-term, consuming more alcohol than recommended can lead to reduced immunity and increased risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. The impact of alcohol on athletic performance and on health is described more in these articles.
So, in the week and parties ahead try moderating alcohol intake by:
- Measuring alcohol carefully
- Adding 8 oz. of water between adult beverages
- Including food in your day
- Practicing a convincing “No thank you” for when you are offered another drink
Weeks 1-7 small habits to build and break in case you missed them:
- Drink at least ¾ of your beverages as plain water each day.
- Eat ½ the amount of sweets per week that you typically eat now.
- Taking sides. Communities and their role in supporting healthful eating.
- Get back on track!
- Hydration coming from vegetables and fruits.
- Stop negative self-talk (out loud or to yourself) about your food choices.
- Two breakfast plans, one beautiful start to the day!
Only 2 more weeks in this effort! Hang in there. You can do it!
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
If you have an idea for a nutrition habit that you recommend building, email me, at