Ways to eat more vegetables include: having them in snacks and meals (eg, eggs cooked in a pepper ring for breakfast); saving time and eating veggies raw; wrapping sandwich or taco fixings in cabbage, lettuce, chard, or kale leaves; shifting the proportion of veggies in stews and stir frys; and adding veggies to grains.
All of these strategies require having plenty of veggies available, so one way to do so, aside from shopping at local grocery and farmer’s markets, is to purchase a CSA (community supported agriculture) share. There are several area farms that have pick-up locations in the Boston area and CSA shares for 2018 are going fast. So, if you are considering one, don’t delay!
- Allandale Farm, 259 Allandale Road, Brookline, is close to BIG.
- Brookfield Farm has pick up locations for Newton, JP, and others. They also permit share splitting and will help you find someone to split it with if you feel that you don’t need a full CSA share each week.
- Newton Community Farm. Their summer CSA is already all sold out! But they have a fall CSA and are at the Newton farmer’s markets throughout the summer.
- Stillman’s Farm has pick-ups in a variety of locations including JP, Newton, and Brookline.
- The Food Project offers a veggie box pick up for 20 weeks mid-June through mid-October.
- Heaven’s Harvest Farm offers several CSA options. Pick-ups are available in a number of places including Newton, Needham, and Milton.
- Drumlin Farm offers a spring CSA beginning in May. Pick up at the Farm in Lincoln, MA and you must be a member of Mass Audubon Society to participate in the CSA.
- Al FreshCo takes the CSA concept one step further by also being a meal delivery program providing recipes to cook up all of that lovely produce.
Participating in a CSA isn’t necessary to eat more plants, but it is a way to eat whole, fresh, and locally grown produce and support local businesses.
Happy and healthful eating,
Donna G. Pertel, MEd, RD, LDN
Looking for ways to stay with your nutrition goals? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.